Friday, February 19, 2010

Player Profile

Joe Grimm of Salmon, Idaho plays the Men's 55 US Indoor Nationals in Boise, Idaho, Putnam Photo

Player Profile:

Joe Grimm,Salmon, Idaho

What’s your story?

I grew up in Southern California, attended Junior High and High School in Texas.
I took up tennis in my mid 20’s, I was self taught, no training, no lessons. I’ve played most of my tennis in Montana.

League tennis?

I have played in 27 sectionals; I’ve played a lot of tennis. I just got dropped to 4.0, I’m in the top 10, and in my age division, I'm ranked in the top 5. I've had national rankings last year I was ranked 87 in the US in men’s 55, singles.

You seem to be having the most fun at this tournament than anyone, why?
I like the Senior tennis because there is none of the worrying about NTRP ratings, the skill levels, you are playing guys that just enjoy playing the game, they are happy just to still be out there, to have legs and still be playing the game. Its just enjoyable.

Why is tennis so valuable in your life?
I think you need a reason to get up every day, either family, a wife, pets whatever it is, a job for us its tennis. You got to have goals that you want to achieve and have something to look forward to the next day, if you don’t you deteriorate very quickly. Ive seen it with my friends and family, you loose your livelihood and in a year you are dead. You have to have a reason to get up every day.

What’s the dynamic of these senior tournaments that’s so compelling?

There are a few players that are here for the glory and the gold championship balls, the rest of us are here to rub shoulders with them. This is the cream of the tennis crop, the best of the best. We can hit with them, they are gracious enough to hit with us, they respect us and the abilities that we have and its fun to test our abilities against them.

What’s it like playing in a Senior Grand Slam tournament?

I love doing it, three years about I had the chance to play for a bronze ball here at this tournament, I was so excited. It’s an unbelievable feeling. Even though I was lucky to get there it was an unbelievable feeling just having the chance to try and win one.

No comments:

Post a Comment